Starting January 31, 2023, Indiana University will require the use of sensitivity labels in Microsoft Power BI to guard your sensitive content against unauthorized data access and leakage. Power BI is a series of reporting tools for analyzing data and sharing insights with reports and dashboards.
Why are sensitivity labels important?
At IU, sensitivity labels are used in Microsoft 365 to guard your content against unauthorized data access and leakage. The available sensitivity labels map to IU's classification levels of institutional data, and place the appropriate protective measures on your data. Labeling your data correctly with sensitivity labels ensures that only authorized people can access your data.
Who does this change affect?
When this change takes effect, users of existing content who have a role of Contributor or higher will be prompted to choose a label for each report, dashboard, dataset, and dataflow before continuing to edit any items or republish reports.
Content created after the mandate will require labels to be selected during the creation of reports, dashboards, datasets, and dataflows.
How do I apply sensitivity labels to my existing dashboards in Power BI?
You can apply or change sensitivity labels in the Power BI Service or in Power BI Desktop:
- To apply or change a sensitivity label on a report or dashboard in the Power BI Service:
- Go to Settings.
- In the settings side pane, go to the "Sensitivity label" section, and choose the appropriate sensitivity label.
- Save the settings.
- To apply or change a sensitivity label on a dataset or dataflow in the Power BI Service:
- Go to Settings.
- Select the Datasets or Dataflows tab, whichever is relevant.
- Expand the "Sensitivity labels" section and choose the appropriate sensitivity label.
- Apply the settings.
- To apply or change a sensitivity label in Power BI Desktop:
- Make sure you're signed in.
- With the file open, use the Sensitivity drop-down in the Home tab to choose the desired label.
For more information about this process, see the Knowledge Base for how to Apply or change sensitivity labels in Power BI at IU.
Where can I find out more information about sensitivity labels?
If you have any questions or concerns about which labels to use for your content, please contact the University Information Policy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need general assistance or support for Power BI reports, please contact your campus Support Center.